Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Today we drove north to visit the twin cities; not Minneapolis-St.Paul, but Yuba City and Marysville. Yuba City was established in 1849 and it's sister city the following year; both arose as a result of the gold rush. Yuba City flourished for a short time, but Marysville soon surpassed it as Yuba City was on the wrong side of the Feather River to allow it to easily service the gold mines. Marysville therefore served as the supply point for the mines and Yuba City became nothing more than a ghost town.
After the gold rush was over, and the miners settled down to farm the surrounding countryside, Yuba City grew once more and today is the seat of Sutter County government.
We decided to visit as the brochures described the two cities as historic and I thought they'd be interesting places to visit. now I know what historic means and I get that the area is historic, but seriously I am fed up with places that have nothing to really offer tourists pumping themselves up. Both cities have some 'historic' buildings, but they are being used as offices and such and so basically you get to look at them from the outside and that's about it. I could have just read the brochure and gotten as much info as we did walking around the streets. At least I got some pictures to put on here I guess, and I know one of these days we are going to visit a historic town and be pleasantly surprised.

Mike: Becc, you sound bitter!





 Marysville did have a beautiful lake, Lake Ellis, with lots of geese and ducks enjoying the gorgeous weather.




No comments:

Post a Comment