Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Both of us we awake early this morning, raring to get I suspect. We had breakfast at the motel, bagels and muffins – we are definitely back in the US of A. Then off we went to see how Serena and the trailer had fared these past seven or so months. Bees office wasn’t open when we got there so we headed straight to the trailer, and everything looked fine. The cover Mike had taped over the air conditioning unit was on the floor and two of the trailer tyres needed air but otherwise it all looked in good shape. We set about getting ready to move, removing plastic and wheel covers, and Mike put the batteries back in both vehicles. We both held our breath (well I did) when Mike started up Serena but she was a total star and started on the first turn of the key – how could I have doubted her. After removing the chocks and the dead leaves, and going to check in at the office, it was decided that Mike would drive Serena with the trailer and her under inflated tyres to our site and I would drive the rental car. Off he went and I stayed at the storage space and started carrying the wood that the truck and trailer had been parked on to the dumpster. At the start of my third trip I dropped a piece of the wood and it split open to reveal gazillions of little white wriggling things. I guess termites had gotten to the wood, and there were so many that they could have picked the chunk up and walked it to the trash themselves. Needless to say I left that piece and the rest where they were and went to find Mike.
By the time I got to the site he had the trailer all positioned and partly unhitched, then began the job of getting everything set up and checking to make sure everything was working as it should. Man it was hot, and I was inside mostly witth the air conditioning on, poor Mike was outside in the heat and humidity contending with the bugs. But by early afternoon we had done as much as we intended to today, Serena was running good, the trailer was sleepable, and some guy that lives here at Bee’s was coming to clean off the truck and trailer for us. So we headed off to return the rental car, not to the airport but it did take us about an hour to get it returned. I followed Mike in the truck, the first time I’ve driven on the right hand side of the road since last Thanksgiving I think, but it really is like riding a bike.



We stopped by Walmart to get some stuff on the way back; I can’t believe how much food prices have gone up since we’ve been gone, it’s crazy. We bought just a few things to keep us going through tomorrow then it was off back tot he trailer so Ray could clean the truck. He was waiting for us when we got back having already washed the trailer; it was an okay job but it wouldn’t win any prizes. I got showered while he cleaned the truck so that I would be ready to go for dinner when it was done. We had Mexican which was lovely (I have definitely missed Mexican food) while it poured with rain outside, and then we headed back to the trailer for an earlyish night; we are both still getting used to being back on this time zone, and we have lots to do tomorrow.

Mike: I couldn't believe it, after seven months sitting in storage, not one problem with Serena or trailer!

No comments:

Post a Comment